Monday, February 28, 2011

Truck dirt and the fruit of the gospel

Caleb and his daddy went to pick up a load of mulch in the "big white truck" this morning.  Caleb is very excited to "help" his daddy.  He is such a little sweet heart.  Today he is wearing five layers and resembles the Pillsbury Doughboy.  Hey, it's really cold outside! He is also wearing his daddy's NY beanie.  He has become aware that his gospel phrases ("holy and righteous, me!") provide a favorable response from his mommy and daddy and has taken to saying them quite often. He really likes affirmations (I wonder if words of affirmation will be his love language?). It's interesting that he mimics everything we say (good and bad) and while he doesn't yet understand these gospel realities, I am pleased that our home language revolves around Christ enough for him to mimic. 

Evelynn had her first of many nana, mommy girl dates this weekend.  We went shopping (Build-a-Bear factory and Bath and Body Works in the mall) and out to lunch (Brewbakers).  I am happy to report that she was marvelous.  Very little fussiness and she gooed and smiled at nana all day.  I did  have a difficult time when she pooped out of her diaper at the mall and had no wipees in the bag.  Yikes.  All in all, it was a fabulous day out.

These "babies" of ours are growing so quickly!  Larry and I were wondering this morning what they will be like when they are grown.  I am so blessed that we can help massage the gospel into their hearts now and watch God work in their lives.  Larry often talks of "experiementing" with our kids.  He wants to experiement by speaking as much gospel and Christ reality to them as possible (from birth) so they do not have to fight the selfish, carnal trails that we are prone to as adults.  We can see the gospel doing its work already.  Caleb has very little fear in his heart - he's not afraid of the dark or of pain.  He's still prone to being afraid that we will leave him (we have been praying about this).  Evelynn is a happy, beautifully healthy and thriving little baby.  I attribute this to God's protection. I certainly had nothing to do with it! :) I try to remind myself daily that our kids are sanctified by our belief that we are in Christ.  They are not just any kids; they are separated from this world and its systems for God's purposes.  Satan and darkness have no place in the household of God.  God is so good to allow us to watch  the fruit His gospel manifest itself in our darling children.  What a blessing!   I'll keep you posted about how the experiment is going!  :)

3 comments:

  1. I love the way you write and what you write about. My new favorite blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't tell my wife but she puts him in "five layers" and I have to take it off when we get in the truck! There's no way I'm gettin' the pilsbury boy buckeled in with all those layers!
    Joking aside, our kids are awesome. I am so thankful that God has allowed me to be married to the most wonderful wife and mother of the coolest kids.
    (One of the things she left out, btw, is Caleb helping wash the "big white truck" which he now affectionately associates with dirt. We get in it, he says "dirt". We see it he says "dirt". Fun stuff.)

    ReplyDelete