Sunday, April 14, 2013

My Caleb

Caleb and I went camping yesterday!  I was nervous about the evening because each child was to go a different direction.  Our kids have never been separated for any length of time.  Last night, Caleb went camping, Evelynn went to her grandparents' house, and Sophia stayed at home with Daddy.  Caleb repeatedly asked where Evie was and reminded me that he missed her. Our two eldest kids are like peanut butter and jelly; they just go together.  With that said, Caleb and I had a wonderful time!  12 hours of exclusive mommy-son time.  We played tug-o-war, searched for frogs, played in the sand, watched a movie on the huge inflatable movie screen, ate smores, danced and generally enjoyed each others company.

I've been asking God to work with my heart in regards to Caleb.  Being a stay-at-home, homeschooling mom means I am with these kids 24/7.  And an energetic, inquisitive 4-year old boy (14 waking hours a day!) can be a little...well difficult at times.  God's been working with me in a number of areas to really understand, appreciate and engage Caleb.  The camping trip was perfect!  I was able to see Caleb as God sees Him: unique, worthy, and designed to be in His image. In so many different ways, God showed me Caleb's value.  For example, instead of running ahead of me to be the first in line, he grabbed my hand and "chatted" (his phrase) all the way there. He found frogs in obvious peril and led them to safety.  He ate every meal with me, rather than running off like other boys his age.  He prayed for my cut knuckle and begged to read our school books first thing in the morning.  Caleb is amazing.  He knows Truth and reminds me daily to focus on God's perspective.  I am so blessed to be able to raise this boy in the nurture and admonition of Christ. 

This afternoon we all went to In-Shape for a bit of swimming.  So fun!  For some reason unknown to me, Caleb is fearful around water.  Every little accomplishment seems very important to him.  Today he yelled out several times, "Momma, look!  No fear in Christ!"  as he dunked his head under the water.  He's an interesting duck, that one.  :)

I love all these kids so much, in such different ways.  They are outside playing "pretend" together after dinner.  How unique God's love must also be for each of us, His children.  Makes me want to go and hug a toddler!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment