Monday, December 31, 2012

Lisa-Jo on writing again

I have a new favorite blog:  lisajobaker.com.  Lisa Jo writes about being a woman and a mother.  Her words are simple and heartfelt.  She doesn't exaggerate to prove that she is a good writer; she just is.  Nearly every post I have read produces deep emotion and recognition (and often tears).  What interests me the most is her suggestion that the small things count.  That being a "writer" doesn't have to be a grand production of perfected words.  She suggests that life and motherhood create the perfect backdrop for writing. 

I love writing, and reading, and nearly everything to do with words.  I have always wanted to write, but have never thought of myself as a "writer" in the formal sense.  "Being a writer" seems too persnickety, a title that belongs to the dark clad, chic woman, sitting in a cafe thinking deep thoughts.   Since I quit teaching, I have stopped considering much of anything other than babies, meals, and the gospel (not in order of importance, but rather in order of daily time consumption), and while I do think deep thoughts, I rarely, if ever write them down.  If I do happen to make the time to write a blog post, I tend to spend too much time unconsciously trying to imitate another writer and not enough time trying to achieve my goal: to honestly communicate and connect to the outside world.  Lisa-Jo proposes that writing may be one way to avoid isolation. She seems to believe that pouring your words out - even if no one reads them - is significant. 

Dealing with hard things is even more difficult in isolation because satan, the enemy of our souls, seems louder.  More convincing.  Motherhood seems harder alone, without an outlet.  Perhaps I have an outlet right here, on this blog.  Where I can write a sentence or two in between diaper changes, kitchen duty and sweet dreams.  God's Word tells us repeatedly that we are stronger together.

My dad called today; my mom is in the hospital.  I have nothing witty or charming to offer about the situation.  Fear sucks, but I refuse to open doors to satan by entertaining "what if" fears.  I am determined to speak God's words about the situation:  she is a child of God, cared for by His mighty hand.  She is light; there is no darkness in her.  God will never leave or forsake His children. So, I'm going to pour a glass of Hilary's wine, think truth, pray, speak in tounges and continue preparing my sweet potato casserole for our party tonight.  At least until the kids wake up from their naps.

Lisa-Jo has this chain of posts (find it here:  http://lisajobaker.com/2012/09/31-days-write-story/). Essentially, she challenges her reader to let go of their perfectionism and just write, for the pleasure and release of writing.  I think I'll give it a whirl.  So reader  (if you're reading) know that I will make typographical errors.  I am writing for content; for pleasure, for connection.  God knows I do not need another project to work on, to finish.  If you'd like, join me this year and begin writing...again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment