Monday, May 23, 2011

True heroism

I'm on my second cup of decaf since I put Caleb and Evie down for their naps.  This is what I love about being a stay-at-home mommy: I have the option to read and sip coffee or work really hard during nap times. Today I need to do something other than clean!  ;)  I love that I now have space and time to consult my Father and think through tough issues (and blog).  While I was teaching, every spare moment was eaten up with lesson plans, tedious grading, and writing curriculum (contrary to how it sounds, teaching wasn’t all bad).  I am so grateful that I trusted God enough to stop relying on my teaching paycheck to provide for my family.  I now rely on God working through my hubby to provide for us.  Whew. What a burden lifted!

Quitting my job has helped me prove God is faithful to His word.  God promises that "whosoever believes on Him shall not be put to shame" (Rm. 10:11).  I looked up the word “ashamed” in Hebrew and it  means to “flee” – from fear.  I see those "NO FEAR" bumper stickers around town.  Do they really know what they are saying?? It seems as though they are trying to convince themselves.  I can say "NO TO FEAR" because I (daily) place all my belief in Christ and abide in Him. I have a boldness and will not be ashamed now or during the day of judgment.  Can you imagine?  We have the right to be bold because as He is, so are we in this world (1 John 2:28; 4:17). 

I want to pattern the thoughts of my children in this way – fearing nothing from man or God because they know they are purchased property.  I want them to daily see the fruit of trusting and submitting to their heavenly Father.  I want Caleb and Evelynn to watch their parents step out on the word of God and not be disappointed.  Even as they are sleeping in their cribs, we are living out two of huge examples of God never putting us to shame: 1) God told me to marry Larry Newman (risky business, that marriage stuff!), and 2) God showed me that it was best to quit teaching.  Both of these supremely terrifying decisions have reaped a bounty of good fruit for our family. God is faithful to His word.  

Throughout scripture God reminds us that He will never leave or forsake us, fail us, or disappoint us.  He promises that He loves us unconditionally and that He is working everything into His plan for good. God is the true hero we read about in romance novels. The one who surrounds us with His love and will never break our hearts. 

2 comments:

  1. My first comment is to tell you how much I am thankful to God to have you as my helper. Thank you for continuing to encourage me to pursue His thoughts and ways and not look at my own, the circumstances or any other source for information. How valuable is a woman who holds to the truth! You excel in virtue.
    It seems “terrifying” with many decisions but more and more I know that Jehovah will be more real to us and those “terrifying” decisions will only cause us to be “alarmed” and then eventually we will simply be “nervous” or “uneasy” which will eventually will lead to total confidence that what God has said he is able (and willing!) to bring about in our lives (Romans 4).
    I stand with you (and God) when I hear…
    “He will never leave or forsake us, fail us, or disappoint us. He promises that He loves us unconditionally and that He is working everything into His plan for good.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't figure out how to post it as myself (jlnewman555@gmail.com)! :-(
    It was me though. (Just in case you couldnt figure that out!)

    ReplyDelete